Monday, June 8, 2015

A Personal Analysis of Depression and Suicide in the Elderly

I write this after the recent passing of an elderly family friend due to suicide.  This event has taken quite a toll on us and our community, and I can't help but wonder how it could have been prevented.  Previously, I didn't think that seniors were very likely to commit suicide.  However, the following article insists that their depression is different.  Major life changes occur, for example, the death of a spouse or retirement.  Some believe that loneliness after these experiences may contribute to depression.  Contracting many illnesses could be another factor.  What's most interesting to me, though, is that it is not easily detected.  The article suggests that their symptoms may overlap with those of their other illnesses, ultimately hiding the depression.  In the case I described above, it also appeared that the onset of depression was very quick.  I don't know the answers to a lot of these questions, but like many others, I do not think that we value mental health in this country enough.  Looking back, I wish there was something I could have done, but there's no way I could have known.  Any personal stories or advice?  Feel free to share.


From: http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Senior-depression-is-different-and-often-undiagnosed-305790371.html

No comments:

Post a Comment