Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Gender Roles with Doctors and Nurses

I've been thinking lately about gender roles in the medical community, especially regarding our doctors and nurses.  In the past, it was difficult to find female doctors, but today, this is not so.  Also, there remain many male doctors.  But it is still considerably difficult to find male nurses.  Personally, I believe this is because of the status associated with each position.  In the past, women probably wanted to become doctors because the job was, and still is, perceived as above the job of a nurse.  However, it is difficult to get men into nursing because it is on a lower level than that of a doctor.  I'll admit, I've considered nursing a little bit myself (as there is such a strong demand for nurses), but I don't think I'd feel comfortable in a profession that is still heavily dominated by women.  Perhaps, though there might be fewer instances where this is such, gender equality campaigns need to have a stronger focus on men.  Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you there is not many male nurses in the field. I had a preceptorship at a hospital where I live and I was put in the delivery/postpartum wing of the hospital. Out of all the nurses on the wing there was one male nurse. He was a delivery nurse. I got to speak with him and he told me having this particular job is an everyday challenge. He does have to be really careful about what he says and how he says it. Simply because he is a male and it could be taken the wrong way verses a female nurse saying the same thing and receiving a completely different reaction. I believe this is due to the fact no one has ever heard of a male midwife. Though he has to do this he said overall he loves his job and that the whole associating the gender with a job should be stopped.

    ReplyDelete